Sunday, May 1, 2016

Applesauce Cake

It is rare for me to post about a recipe but it's rare for me to be sewing these days. :(  This is my husband's grandmother's recipe and has been tried and eaten by at least three generations.


2 cups sifted cake flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. allspice
1/4 t. cloves
1 cup seedless raisins
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 t. vanilla (adjust as desired)
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten slightly
1 cup thick, sweetened applesauce


Sift first 6 ingredients together; stir in raisins.  Using large bowl cream shortening, vanilla and sugar together thoroughly.  Add egg; beat until light and fluffy.  Add dry ingredients alternately with applesauce, beating after each addition.  Pour into greased pan, approximately 11" x 7".


Bake @ 350 degrees about 45 minutes


I haven't made this in awhile; perhaps it's time. :)

2 comments:

catspec said...

WOW...now THAT sounds good!!!!

glorm said...

It is good. I really should make it soon which would give my hubby a nice treat--well, treat for me too. :)

LABELS: The Finishing Touch for Sewn Garments

I've been using labels in my sewn garments for decades, but some don't.  Here are some pics of ones I have. The quality went down so...