Monday, May 15, 2023

LABELS: The Finishing Touch for Sewn Garments

I've been using labels in my sewn garments for decades, but some don't.  Here are some pics of ones I have.





The quality went down so good thing I bought when I did.  In some clothes when they are ready for the trash bin, the labels still look so good that I remove them to be used on a newly sewn garment.  Some new ones don't last too many years or washings.

So, why the difference?  It's woven vs. printed.  The colors and letters wear off from the printed ones.

There are companies which sell online---and are of good quality.  The problem is sometimes they must be ordered in bulk.   I get bored easily and like to change often so like having choices of style and designs.

If you have a favorite place from which to order, put the info in the comments.

I did a search and found my style.  They are 10 for $19.  You can see the prices I paid for mine.  Granted it was many years ago.  (The prices I wrote on the packages include tax or were bought after a price increase; hence, the seemingly incorrect math.)

4 comments:

catspec said...

Nice post! I have some of the woven 0nes like your first picture. Mine have said: "Made with Love by Mom" or "Gramma" or just my name. But I make only quilt labels now. Love the detail in your post and hope it inspires someone to use labels!

glorm said...

Thank you. Years ago my friend asked to see a garment I had made. I showed her and she commented on my label, saying she had never thought of putting one in. (she was about 40 then). Her name is/was hard to find so she bought any package and sent it in to the company and they printed some with her name. That offer was on the package which really cut into the profit for them, but made their customers happy.

SewLibra said...

Back in the day I had the exact one you showed in the first pic! When I got my first computerized machine with alphabet I made my own labels with my initials on ribbon, but those got a bit messed up in the laundry. I don't remember when I started ordering my current labels, but over a decade ago. I get 50 at a time from Wunderlabel and they are woven. I haven't had any issues with them fading or anything. Once I ordered from The Dutch Label Co. but I prefer Wunderlabel, they are brighter and a tad softer. I have my online name "SewLibra" on them with a little flower to the right, black background with red lettering and white background with red lettering. I like that we can design our own labels from these companies using their large selection of choices of fonts, colors, sizes and fabric content. In the last couple of years my skin has become more sensitive so I don't sew them in the neckline anymore, rather the seam allowance near the hem on a top. If pants have an elastic waist I put them in a side seam near the pocket, or on the pocket bag. I love having my "own" labels! Interesting post Glorm!

glorm said...

Thanks for commenting. Yes, labels are fun. I've seen your labels and I like them. Have you seen what they are doing now in purchased clothing? They are printing the info on the garment. Not only is it hard to read, it can come off after several washings. Boy, anything to save a penny or two!

LABELS: The Finishing Touch for Sewn Garments

I've been using labels in my sewn garments for decades, but some don't.  Here are some pics of ones I have. The quality went down so...