Monday, March 15, 2021

Seventy-Year-Old Cups


 When I see these cups I am reminded of my wonderful aunt.


When I was a little girl and we'd visit my grandparents she would stop by to see us, grab a cup of coffee using one of these cups.


There are numbers on the bottom which are for the design.  I have two each of three.


On the bottom is printed "Made in Germany".  Thus, these cups would have to be from pre-war (that's WWII) or just a few years after the war.


Auntie would have been too young to purchase them before the war, so after; or my grandparents had owned them which I highly doubt as these were not the usual type of item they would have bought.


The cups couldn't have been brought back by my uncles because neither was anywhere near Germany during the war.



I am amazed that these seventy-plus-year-old cups are still in great condition, with no chips.  The gold on the rim and on the cups is still there.


They are not used often because they can't go in the dishwasher nor in the microwave.  Since my dishwasher is not working and I've been handwashing, I do grab one of these for my cuppa.


Here's to you, Auntie.



Update:  I've been told that these cups could be older than from the 40s.  They could be the 30s or even the 20s.  If that is true, then where did they come from?  There is no one left to ask.  I'll have to do some researching on them.

4 comments:

catspec said...

Oh those are very sweet cups glorm...very sweet. I'd google around and see if I could get an id on those if I were you! :)

SewLibra said...

That's quite a mystery! Such beautiful cups and memories they bring. Nice that you are using them too. Do you display them?

glorm said...

Thank you, catspec. I'll have to do more research.

glorm said...

No, SewLibra, I do not display them. If they are older than I thought I don't know whether to consider them my aunt's or belonging to my grandparents. I have nothing which belonged to them, but then they didn't have much. It would have been nice to have my grandmother's treadle but my parents did not bring it home because they had no way to do that. Thank you for commenting.

LABELS: The Finishing Touch for Sewn Garments

I've been using labels in my sewn garments for decades, but some don't.  Here are some pics of ones I have. The quality went down so...